Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Art Competition Winner Announced!!!


Women in Art 278 is pleased to announce the winner of
"Honoring Our Mothers" art competition: Priscilla Burgers

 Please enjoy the stunning photography as well as a write up by
Priscilla Burgers of Cottonwood, Arizona, USA.


About the Artist and "Suppertime" 
For years, I was a "happy snappy" photographer, Upon retiring from high school counseling and teaching ten years ago, I purchased my first digital camera and started to take photography more seriously. I took several courses on using a dSLR camera, photo processing using Adobe Elements and Photoshop, digital painting, creative Photoshop techniques, and matting and framing, I enjoy keeping up with new photography techniques and improving my photography and photo processing skills. My initial photography interest and focus was landscape photography. I live near the beautiful red rock area of Sedona, Arizona, a photographer's paradise. Although Arizona has extensive variety and beauty in its landscape subjects, my real landscape interest is the majestic mountains of the West. My husband and I take frequent trips, always planned around photography locations. My interest in photography genres has gradually expanded to include wildlife; ghost towns and other relics; rodeos, ranches, and cowboys; barns, churches, and other subjects that may capture my interest. I especially enjoy creatively processing photographs with textures, composites, and digital painting.

I attended the 2013 St. Augustine Birding and Photo Fest, in St. Augustine, Florida last April when the birds were in full breeding plumage. The highlight of the five-day event was photographing the native bird rookery at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm. The natural alligator swamp area of the park attracts hundreds of pairs of herons, egrets, ibis, spoonbills and wood storks that nest literally feet away from the boardwalk. With hundreds of alligators swimming beneath the oak branches, the birds know their young are safe from tree-climbing predators. The wooden walkway allows for incredibly intimate views of the magnificent birds on their nests. When I was at the rookery, there were numerous birds flying around, bringing nest materials to their mates to add to their nests. Although there were many birds feeding their young in nests, I focused on this family of great egrets because the dark background set off the white birds so nicely. Most other nests had bright skylight behind them that was very distracting. I have many, many photographs of this mother feeding her young. She would periodically leave the nest for more food for the chicks, always quickly returning with more food to feed their hungry appetites. This image is my favorite because it shows the mother's beak placing the morsels in the chick's wide open mouth. The other chicks, although not as aggressive, anxiously await their turns with open mouths. This devoted mother did not neglect the needs of any of her chicks. This motherly devotion can be seen in all animals, including humans.

Congratulations, Priscilla!! 
To view more of her work, please click here.